UPDATE: Man cited for negligent smoking in a northeast Lincoln apartment fire

By  | 

LINCOLN, Neb. – Lincoln police say a man has been cited in a two-alarm apartment fire in northeast Lincoln. Police cited and released 20-year-old Austin Stroh for negligent smoking. Lincoln Fire and Rescue says the fire was started by an improperly discarded cigarette.

The call regarding the fire near 63rd and Orchard, came in around 12:30 p.m. on Tuesday.

The fire was at Charleston Court apartments, and people were evacuated from the structure. Seven apartments sustained some sort of damage.

Crews showed up and saw smoke coming from second floor balcony. They quickly got inside and were forced to cut a whole in the roof to let smoke out.

They say it took about 20 minutes to get the fire under control.

LFR said that two people who live in the apartment where the fire started will have to be relocated.

One resident said that the owner of the complex is looking to make the complex 100 percent smoke free.

There was one pet inside at the time, but it was rescued and is doing okay. Nobody was injured.

The fire caused about $100,000 in damage, according to fire inspectors.