UPDATE: Wahoo State Bank Fire caused by halogen lamp on the roof

By  | 

WAHOO, Neb. — Wahoo Fire Chief Mark Meyer has confirmed the fire at the Wahoo State Bank was caused by a halogen tripod light that blew over in the wind.

According to Chief Meyer, a contractor was doing work on the roof the night before the fire. A light was left on, blew over, and got hot enough to burn into the roof.

Firefighters from Wahoo, Cedar Bluffs, Mead, David City and Yutan responded to the fire Friday morning.

Bank employees reported smelling smoke around 9 a.m. and the building was evacuated. The flames quickly spread from the roof into the rest of the two-story building. Aerial units sprayed water from above. The fire continued to burn for most of the day while crews also dealt with the cold and 40 mph winds. No one was hurt.

All data maintained by the bank is secure. Bank vice president Cindy Hohl said customers should not be concerned. "We have a disaster recovery plan we'll put into effect so it may take us 24-48 hours to get that going, but we'll be up and going and you plan for this hoping it never happens."

On Monday morning, the bank opened a temporary location in addition to opening the lobby of it's drive up location at 5th and Chestnut.

President of the Bank, Greg Hohl wants customers to ensure that while they try to move forward and plan to rebuild the downtown location, it will be business as usual. "Everything will be working as it was before. Our customers will be served the best that they've always been," said Hohl.

Several neighboring businesses sustained smoke and water damage and remained closed Monday afternoon.

President Hohl expects it to be atleast a year before the downtown location reopens.



 
Comments are posted from viewers like you and do not always reflect the views of this station. powered by Disqus