Discarded cigarette cause of fire that displaces family

By  | 

LINCOLN, Neb. (KOLN) - Sherrie Allen, her mother, daughter, son, and their dog will be spending the holidays in a hotel. Early Tuesday morning their home caught on fire and they say their home was engulfed in flames within minutes.

"I'm scared, I'm tired, I'm stressed, I'm upset, but I'm happy my family is okay," said Allen.

Lincoln Fire and Rescue said an improperly discarded cigarette is the cause of the fire. Fire crews were called to the home at 4424 N 65th Street around 1:45 a.m.

Allen said she was sleeping upstairs when her mom started shouting that the house was on fire.

Lincoln Fire and Rescue said the home will likely be ruled a total loss, and damage is estimated at $135,000.

"It's a blessing and a curse all in one because you never know what you have until you lose it, but we still have each other and then we can start again," said Kesha Nelson, Allen's daughter.