Discarded cigarette likely cause of apartment fire | Building a total loss

By  | 

LINCOLN, Neb. (KOLN) - A discarded cigarette is the likely cause of a fire that ripped through an apartment building on Wednesday morning, authorities said.

Multiple crews responded to the three-alarm fire at Black Sand Apartment Homes, located in the 4900 block of North 32nd Street, a little after 4:30 a.m.

Lincoln Fire and Rescue said about 18 different precincts and over 50 firefighters were at the scene working to control the flames.

It took roughly an hour before fire crews were able to get the blaze under control.

LFR Chief Micheal Despain said there is roughly $2 million worth of damage to the building, which is a total loss.

The individual apartments at the complex did feature water sprinklers, LFR said, but none were located in the area where the fire started, allowing the blaze to grow.

LFR added the fire was likely started from a cigarette discarded outside, and no civilian injuries have been reported.

At least two firefighters sustained minor injuries, LFR said.

The American Red Cross was on scene handing out blankets, socks and other items to residents who were living at the apartment building.

One resident who escaped the fire said many are staying in the club house until they get answers and updates on what's going to happen next.