LFR: Improperly discarded ashes caused Friday night house fire

By  | 

LINCOLN, Neb. – Investigators said a Friday night fire in northeast Lincoln was started because stove ashes were disposed too close to combustibles.

Lincoln Fire and Rescue was dispatched to the home on the 3900 block of 42nd Street shortly after 11 p.m. Friday.

Fire Inspector Rick Campos with LFR said the fire actually started outside, but rapidly spread inside and throughout the home.

LFR said the fire caused about $250,000 in total damage and considered the home a "total loss."

Campos said the family noticed the fire when smoke detectors started beeping, and it's a good reminder for everybody to regularly test the smoke detectors in their homes.

Battalion Chief Leo Benes with LFR said one pet was killed in the fire and several others are still missing, but the family was able to escape without injury.