Dryer lint determined to be the cause of Friday fire in Fairbury

By  | 

FAIRBURY, Neb. – A portion of downtown Fairbury was blanketed in smoke Friday afternoon as crews battled a fire at a building on 4th Street.

Crews responded around 12:45 pm as the blaze appeared to be originating from Kathy’s Cut Ups between E and F Streets along 4th.

Fairbury Police and the Jefferson County Sheriff’s Office blocked off intersections near downtown as firefighters worked to contain the fire.

As of 2:30 p.m. smoke had stopped pouring from the building and the fire appeared to be out as crews continued checking for any remaining hot spots. No injuries have been reported.

Fairbury Fire Chief Steve Zimmerman said Sunday that the cause of the fire has been determined to be dryer lint in the attic area where it was vented.