Fire Inspector: Fire caused by child playing with lighter

By  | 

LINCOLN, Neb. (KOLN) - Fire inspector Ken Hilger says a house fire Thursday night was started by a 6-year-old playing with a lighter on the home's second floor.

Lincoln Fire and Rescue crews responded to the fire at 1927 J Street shortly before 7:00 PM.

Battalion Chief Jim Bopp said three to four kids were home with a babysitter, but were able to get out of the house safely.

Bopp said, "That's what we all hope from our babysitters, they do the right thing, and she absolutely did."

Lincoln Fire and Rescue tweeted that crews were able to knock down the fire quickly.

Bopp added firefighters were able to contain damage to an upstairs room.

However, a dog got spooked in the commotion of the fire and took off. Bopp said Animal Control was on scene trying to track down the dog.