Poorly discarded cigarette to blame for Lincoln house fire

By  | 

LINCOLN, Neb. (KOLN) - Lincoln Fire and Rescue said the fire at a home near 27th and Norman was caused by a poorly discarded cigarette.

Multiple fire trucks responded to the house fire a little after 3 a.m. Wednesday.

Fire officials said the fire started in the back of the house on the deck. Firefighters were able to contain it there, but there were remnants of smoke inside the home.

Battalion Chief Kurt Snyder said the fire cost $40,000 in damages.

LFR said an elderly couple, living inside the home, woke up from the sound of their smoke alarms. They quickly grabbed their dog and ran out of the house.

Originally, LFR Battalion Chief Jim Bopp reported two people were taken to the hospital. LFR crews now say it was only one elderly male who was hospitalized and the other person was treated at the scene and is said to be OK.

Lincoln Police had blocked off the right southbound lane near 27th & Norman due to the fire. It has since reopened.

Fire officials want to remind people to get their smoke alarms checked. They said it's especially important this time of the year with Christmas decorations, candles and other flammable items.