Dramatic video of a toddler pulling a dresser off of his twin brother after it had tipped over shows the very real danger of what can happen in your own home. Click here to watch that video.
Accidents happen, but we need to do what we can to keep our children safe. MomsEveryday correspondent Liz Hayes shared some essential tips for accomplishing that goal.
1. Check stability of all TVs in your home.
2. Mount TV flat screens to the wall.
3. Use brackets, braces or wall straps to secure unstable or top heavy furniture to the wall.
4. Install stops on dresser drawers to prevent them from being pulled way out. (multiple open doors can cause weight to shift).
5. Rearrange household items keeping heavier items in lower shelves on lower drawers.
6. Avoid placing TV remote controls, food, toys or other items in places where kids might be tempted to climb.
Furniture needs to be secured to a wall or include safety features. That way kids can’t pull out all of the drawers which would make it more likely to tip over.
Use brackets, braces or wall straps to secure unstable or top-heavy furniture to the wall.
Install stops on dresser drawers to prevent them from being pulled all the way out.
Unfortunately, there are many household dangers parents may overlook.
Head over to MomsEveryday.com for other hidden dangers and how to eliminate them.