HOLMESVILLE, NE-- Three people have escaped from a fire that heavily damaged their home in southeast Nebraska's Gage County.
"You know you never think it's going to happen to you," said Teresa Fauber, who lives in the rural home. "And I was just glad that we all got out okay."
Firefighters from Blue Springs Rural, Beatrice Rural and Filley Rural were dispatched early Tuesday morning to the house in Holmesville.
Fauber and her husband Mark, say their son, Tobi Hinkle, awakened to heat and smoke and saw an orange glow on his upstairs bedroom ceiling. He alerted his parents so they could escape to safety.
"It took me about three times to hear whatever he hollered at me," said Fauber. "He was yelling, 'fire.'"
All family members and pets made it out without injuries.
An investigator determined that the fire began above the fireplace, near the chimney.
Mark Fauber says they did have a fire burning that night, but it did not leave the chimney.
The home is almost a total loss, some items on the lower level sustained smoke or water damage and may still be recovered.
The family was unable to get anything out of their home. Neighbors and friends have been donated clothing and food items.
"The support we've been getting from our friends, neighbors and the community has just been outstanding," said Fauber. "And we really appreciate it."