An animal rights group has purchased more than $3,000 worth of stock in ConAgra Foods.
Members of People for the Ethical Treatment of Animals say they plan to stress humane treatment of animals through shareholder resolutions and speaking at annual meetings.
ConAgra spokesman Chris Kircher says the company believes well-treated animals ultimately result in a better quality food product.
PETA began buying stock in food companies in October in order to submit shareholder resolutions.
kolnkgin.com Extended Web Coverage
Animal Abuse Stats
- Studies of prison inmates show that 75 percent of violent offenders had early records of animal cruelty.
- Studies have shown that families that were reported for animal abuse also had children listed as "high risk" for abuse and neglect.
- In a Utah State University study, out of 101 female victims of domestic violence, 73 reported that the abuser either threatened or harmed their pets.
- Animal abuse has been found to be an indication of child abuse, it has been found that animals are abused in 88 percent of the families where children are abused.
- Ted Bundy, David "Son of Sam" Berkowitz and Jeffrey Dahlmer all had histories of repeated animal cruelty.
- Animal cruelty carries felony-level penalties in about one-third of the United States, and is still treated as a minor crime in most places, according to the Humane Society.
- In the 401 animal abuse cases reviewed, 15-percent ended with someone going to court, and only eight-percent received a jail sentence.
Source: Web Reports