UNL Soccer Player Dies From Injuries Suffered in Shooting

By  | 

A University of Nebraska soccer player has died from injuries she suffered in a shooting that happened early Sunday morning. 21 year old Jenna Cooper died at 7:21pm Sunday evening at Bryan LGH West hospital.

It happened in a seemingly quiet southeast Lincoln neighborhood where neighbors woke up to unimaginable news. Around two Sunday morning, police rushed to the home of Jenna Cooper.

Captain Lee Wagner of the Lincoln Police Department says, "Through investigation it appears that a verbal confrontation began between two people in the front yard one of those people pulled a hand gun and fired one shot."

That one shot struck two people. The bullet first grazed the head of Nolan Jenkins, then struck UNL soccer player, Jenna Cooper, in the throat. The wound of Mr. Jenkins is not life threatening. Cooper died Sunday evening at the Bryan LGH West Hospital.

Nebraska athletic director, Steve Pederson, released this statement Sunday night, saying, "The University of Nebraska is a better place because Jenna Cooper made us a part of her life. Some young people come to campus and leave a mark that will never be forgotten. Jenna is one of those people. We thank her parents for sharing their treasure with us. Our hearts go out to Jenna's family, friends, and all those in Nebraska whose life she touched. They say the sign of a life well lived is the outpouring of love from others. Today I have witnessed just how much she was loved."

Soccer coach John Walker says "Jenna was a great, great person, teammate, and player. It was an absolute pleasure to have her on the team and to know her as a friend and teammate. She had an unbelievable work ethic. She was kind and generous, well respected by her teammates. She was a selflessperson who always wanted to do the best for the team. She so desparately wanted to be a great captain and took her leadership role seriously. Everyone who had the opportunity to meet her loved her. She was a wonderful, wonderful person. Any parent would be proud to have their daughter be like her."

Police say the initial investigation led them to a man by the name of Lucky Iromuanya. Iromuanya was arrested later Sunday morning outside his home on the 1900 block on North 29th Street. Captain Wagner also stated that Iromuanya was arrested for first-degree assault, use of a weapon to commit a felony and for carrying a concealed weapon. Additional charges may be filed on Monday.

Police continue to search for answers on this case. Services for Jenna Cooper are pending. The family has asked that memorials in her honor be donated to the University of Nebraska Soccer Program.