Polk residents are resorting once again to boiling their water after fecal or E-coli bacteria was discovered in the village's water distribution system last week.
Officials recommend the precaution to Polk's 150 water customers.
Utilities Superintendent Matthew Redman says drinking water microbiological standard were violated in April and then again last Friday.
Fecal coliform and E-coli bacteria can cause diarrhea, cramps and nausea, headaches or other symptoms. The pose a particular health risk to the very young or old and people with severely compromised immune systems.
Redman says the problem first occurred when birds go into the village's damaged water tower earlier the spring. He says sediment at the bottom of the tank may have caused the bacteria to reactivate.
Viewers with disabilities can get assistance accessing this station's FCC Public Inspection File by contacting the station with the information listed below. Questions or concerns relating to the accessibility of the FCC's online public file system should be directed to the FCC at 888-225-5322, 888-835-5322 (TTY), or firstname.lastname@example.org.