Crews Fight Fire in Apartment Building Twice

By: 10/11 News Email
By: 10/11 News Email

Lincoln, NE-- UPDATE: Tenants at an apartment complex on South 10th Street were gathering what they could Sunday from their damaged apartments.

Some residents are not sure what they are going to do now after losing most of their belongings. Many of the tenants were forced out Saturday evening with just the clothes on their backs.

According to Fire Investigator Roger Chapp, there is around $95,000 worth of damages.

Tenants of the apartments are not allowed back into the building until the power and plumbing is restored.
-------------------------------------------
Fire crews respond to apartment building fire then go back to fight it again.

Multiple Lincoln Fire Rescue units arrived to the 2400 block of S. 10th on an apartment fire around 5:30 Saturday evening.

Battalion Chief, Derald Murrell says the apartment maintenance personnel was repairing a frozen pipe with a torch in the lower level laundry room. The torch caught some insulation on fire and the maintenance personnel attempted to put the fire out with water, but did not succeed.

The fire extended to the first floor of the apartment. The 10 unit apartment, with 7 family residents were evacuated.

According to Murrell , that one apartment will probably be re-located in the first fire which caused about $30,000 in damage.

Several crews had already returned to the station when smoke was spotted on the second floor and attic. Murrell said the crew which was still at the scene called everyone back at 6:18 p.m.

"Somehow, even though we pulled walls and into the ceiling in the first fire, it got past us in the walls and made its way up before we found it again" said Murrell.

Crews had to cut holes in the roof and several walls to get to the second fire.

Startran brought a bus to the scene to help warm up the residents and fire crews.

Damage estimates to the building after the second fire are not available until Lincoln Fire Inspectors are done with their investigation.

Murrell also mentioned that it is very common to have situations like this, especially when someone is not careful when using a torch.


Comments are posted from viewers like you and do not always reflect the views of this station.
powered by Disqus
KOLN-TV Call: (402) 467-4321 Toll-free: 1-800-475-1011 840 North 40th Lincoln, NE 68503 Email: info@1011now.com KGIN-TV Call: (308) 382-6100 123 N Locust Street Grand Island, NE 68802 Email: kgin@1011now.com KSNB-TV Toll free 888-475-1011 123 N. Locust St. Grand Island, NE 68802 Email : ksnb@1011now.com
Gray Television, Inc. - Copyright © 2002-2014 - Designed by Gray Digital Media - Powered by Clickability 234915201