LSO responded to a call from a passerby saying they saw heavy smoke near a home on 68th and Saltillo Road.
The passerby alerted the elderly man who lives in the home and got him out safely.
It all started around 9:30 Saturday morning. 10/11 crews arrived on the scene around 10 and there was still heavy smoke and flames. It took about an hour to get it fully under control
Saltillo Road is still blocked off at 68th street.
Hickman, Hallam, Southwest and Southeast crews were all on scene. The Salvation Army Emergency Response was also there.
The flames were difficult to fight because there were no hydrants in the area. Crews had to rely on tanker trucks.
The blaze appears to have started in the garage then spread to the roof. Charging a car battery seems to be the cause. The battery most likely overheated and exploded.