Dangers of Holiday Lights

By: Erika Tallan
By: Erika Tallan

This time of year we warn you of the hazard your Christmas tree presents, but your holiday lights lining your roof can be just as dangerous.

A Christmas light display at one Omaha home overloaded a home's electrical system.

Firefighters were called to the home just before midnight Saturday.

According to investigators an electrical circuit in the garage was overloaded by too many Christmas lights and it caught fire.

"As a general rule, we say 3 light strands per outlet," said Lincoln Fire and Rescue Chief Jeanne Pashalek said. "You can use surge protectors and so on but if you use something like that, follow the recommendations and manufacture guidelines," said Pashalek.

Throw out punctured, kinked, brittle or frayed cords.

And once plugged in, if the cords feel warm throw them away. It's a sign there's a problem.


Comments are posted from viewers like you and do not always reflect the views of this station.
powered by Disqus
KOLN-TV Call: (402) 467-4321 Toll-free: 1-800-475-1011 840 North 40th Lincoln, NE 68503 Email: info@1011now.com KGIN-TV Call: (308) 382-6100 123 N Locust Street Grand Island, NE 68802 Email: kgin@1011now.com KSNB-TV Toll free 888-475-1011 123 N. Locust St. Grand Island, NE 68802 Email : ksnb@1011now.com
Gray Television, Inc. - Copyright © 2002-2014 - Designed by Gray Digital Media - Powered by Clickability 182899311