Fire Crews Revive Cat in House Fire

By: 10/11 News Email
By: 10/11 News Email

LINCOLN, Neb.-- Residents say they are glad fire crews were able to save their cat even though they have to relocate.

Just before 2:00 a.m. Tuesday, Lincoln Fire and Rescue crews were called to the 3300 block of C Street after a neighbor reported seeing flames in the basement.

Residents tell 10/11 News they had been using a portable generator in the basement for power after having their electricity turned off.

Tammy Heistand who owns the home, said she was worried about her cat. She had not seen him since evacuating the house.

Fire crews came out carrying the limp cat and gave him oxygen while Heistand stroked his back. Within about ten minutes, the three-year-old cat began to come around and act normally.

Lincoln Fire Inspector Donald Gross says his investigation leads him to believe fumes from a fuel leak in the generator were ignited by the nearby gas hot water heater.

Damages are estimated at $50,000 for the structure and infrastructure and about $10,000 for damage to contents of the house.

The residents and cat were relocated by The American Red Cross.


Comments are posted from viewers like you and do not always reflect the views of this station.
powered by Disqus
KOLN-TV Call: (402) 467-4321 Toll-free: 1-800-475-1011 840 North 40th Lincoln, NE 68503 Email: info@1011now.com KGIN-TV Call: (308) 382-6100 123 N Locust Street Grand Island, NE 68802 Email: kgin@1011now.com KSNB-TV Toll free 888-475-1011 123 N. Locust St. Grand Island, NE 68802 Email : ksnb@1011now.com
Copyright © 2002-2014 - Designed by Gray Digital Media - Powered by Clickability 273532281 - 1011now.com/a?a=273532281
Gray Television, Inc.