A Grand Island family is homeless after a Thursday afternoon fire.
GIFD Division Chief Tim Hiemer says when firefighters arrived at the house on Woodridge Boulevard around 4:30 p.m. the back side of the attached garage was in flames.
Hiemer says the fire spread into the home's second floor and attic. He says everyone, including the family's pets, made it out safely.
Authorities say they believe the fire started in a trash can outside and appears to be accidental.
The Red Cross was on the scene assisting the family.