UPDATE: Fire Causes Evacuation at Lazy V Motel

By: 10/11 News Email
By: 10/11 News Email

Residents were evacuated after a fire broke out in the office unit of the Lazy V Apartments in Grand Island.

GI Fire Chief Cory Schmidt says a neighbor alerted the unit's occupants around 7:30 p.m. Thursday night that smoke was coming from the roof.

Schmidt says the fire apparently started in a wall of an empty apartment in that unit before spreading to the attic. He says the apartment was vacated about 10 days ago.

Units from multiple stations were able to get the fire under control, but had to block Highway 30 between Seedling Mile and Shady Bend for a time to access a fire hydrant on the north side of the highway.

Schmidt says the Red Cross is helping and that officials were still trying to contact another resident of the apartment who was not home at the time of the fire. He did not know if residents would be displaced, but said firefighters were helping them minimize water damage and remove items.


Comments are posted from viewers like you and do not always reflect the views of this station.
powered by Disqus
KOLN-TV Call: (402) 467-4321 Toll-free: 1-800-475-1011 840 North 40th Lincoln, NE 68503 Email: info@1011now.com KGIN-TV Call: (308) 382-6100 123 N Locust Street Grand Island, NE 68802 Email: kgin@1011now.com KSNB-TV Toll free 888-475-1011 123 N. Locust St. Grand Island, NE 68802 Email : ksnb@1011now.com
Gray Television, Inc. - Copyright © 2002-2014 - Designed by Gray Digital Media - Powered by Clickability 175891681