This is the time of year where you've probably been using the grill. And who can't turn down barbecued ribs? In House Works, Chef Chris Leon joins us with some ideas on how to make the perfect ribs your whole family will enjoy.
Ingredients for homemade sauce.. Original recipe makes 8 servings
4 pounds baby back pork ribs
4 cloves garlic, sliced
1 tablespoon white sugar
1 tablespoon paprika
2 teaspoons salt
2 teaspoons ground black pepper
2 teaspoons chili powder
2 teaspoons ground cumin
1/2 cup dark brown sugar
1/2 cup cider vinegar
1/2 cup ketchup
1/4 cup chili sauce
1/4 cup Worcestershire sauce
1 tablespoon lemon juice
2 tablespoons onion, chopped
1/2 teaspoon dry mustard
1 clove crushed garlic
Also a dry rub can be substituted and bbq sauce of your choosing added before the finish grilling step..
1. Preheat oven to 300 degrees F (150 degrees C). Place ribs on a rack in a shallow roasting pan. Scatter 4 cloves of sliced garlic over ribs. Cover, and bake for 2 1/2 hours. Cool slightly.
2. In a small bowl, mix together white sugar, paprika, salt, black pepper, chili powder, and ground cumin. Rub spices over cooled ribs. Cover, and refrigerate overnight.
3. In a small saucepan, mix together brown sugar, cider vinegar, ketchup, chili sauce, Worcestershire sauce, lemon juice, onion, dry mustard, and 1 clove garlic. Simmer over medium-low heat, uncovered, for 1 hour. Reserve a small amount for basting; the remainder is a dipping sauce.
4. Preheat grill for medium heat.
5. Place ribs on grill. Grill, covered, for about 12 minutes, basting with the reserved sauce, until nicely browned and glazed. Serve with remaining sauce for dipping.