Jefferson Community Health Center was closed Friday afternoon because of an accidental chemical leak in the laundry area. The chemical was undetermined as of 3:30 p.m. Fairbury Fire Department and Beatrice Fire and Rescue/Hazmat were called immediately for assistance and were on scene.
There were no serious injuries.
As of 3:30 p.m. the 72nd Civil Support Team hazmat unit was enroute and expected to arrive soon, and Beatrice Fire and Rescue/Hazmat was doing initial investigation.
Gardenside long-term care residents and Cedarwood assisted living tenants were transferred to a local church in the early afternoon. The wellness center, emergency room, physical therapy and all patient services were closed by 3 p.m.
Once the nature of chemical is determined, it will be determined how to clean the leak and prepare the facility to reopen. The facility reopened several hours later.