January is National Volunteer Blood Donor Month. According to ncbb.org, it is estimated that, annually, more than 4 million people have a second chance at life because of blood transfusions made possible by volunteer blood donors. And, it is widely known that one blood donation can save up to three lives. Given these facts and the fact that blood donations are always needed, 10/11 has teamed up with KFRX to help the Nebraska Community Blood Bank with the "Broadcasters Unite for Life" blood drive.
Tuesday, January 7, from 11 a.m. until 3 p.m., the blood drive will be held at the 10/11 studios (840 N. 40th Street, Lincoln). We will be broadcasting live throughout the drive and all registering donors will receive free lunch from Nitro Burger.
Make your appointment to donate online at www.ncbb.org using the Sponsor Code TELE, or call 402-486-9414.
Other facts on blood donations from ncbb.org:
- Every two seconds someone needs blood.
- Shortages of all types of blood often occur during the summer and winter months.
- Approximately 40,000 pints of blood are used each day in the United States.
- The Nebraska Community Blood Bank provides blood to hospitals in six counties.
- Approximately 40 percent of the U.S. population is eligible to donate, yet less than 10 percent do.
- The number one reason for not donating? No one ever asked!
- The number one reason for being a blood donor? To help others.