Smoking Believed to Have Started Downtown Lincoln Apartment Fire

By: 10/11 News Email
By: 10/11 News Email

LINCOLN, Neb. -- A cigarette is believed to be the cause of an apartment fire at 12th and O Street in downtown Lincoln.

The initial call came out 2:49 p.m. and shortly after the first crew arrived, they called in a second alarm requesting more crews.

Lincoln Fire & Rescue Battalion Chief Leo Benes told 10/11 the fire started on the roof and as a precaution crews evacuated the top floor.

Crews went inside and aggressively put out fire. Benes said the wind made it tough to contain the fire initially.

According to Chief Benes, there was significant water damage to the roof and the top floor of the building. Early estimates are in excess of $20,000 in damage.

Benes said once the fire was contained crews began working to make sure all embers left from the fire were out.

The Fire Inspector believes the fire started with a cigarette or possibly one which was not extinguished properly.

10/11 spoke with a woman who was evacuated and she said around six other tenants were evacuated from the building. Some of the residents will have to be relocated.


Comments are posted from viewers like you and do not always reflect the views of this station.
powered by Disqus
KOLN-TV Call: (402) 467-4321 Toll-free: 1-800-475-1011 840 North 40th Lincoln, NE 68503 Email: info@1011now.com KGIN-TV Call: (308) 382-6100 123 N Locust Street Grand Island, NE 68802 Email: kgin@1011now.com KSNB-TV Toll free 888-475-1011 123 N. Locust St. Grand Island, NE 68802 Email : ksnb@1011now.com
Gray Television, Inc. - Copyright © 2002-2014 - Designed by Gray Digital Media - Powered by Clickability 249202981 - 1011now.com/a?a=249202981