In one day, 30 U.S. kids will be injured by chemicals called hydrocarbons.
In one day, 30 kids in the U.S. will be injured by chemicals called hydrocarbons.
Hydrocarbons are found in things like gasoline, lighter fluid and furniture polish.
You may have these items in your home and may be putting your children in danger and not even know it.
Josh and Brittany linger share their love of music with their kids.
But a simple bottle of guitar polish almost destroyed their family. As little boys do, their son Jaxon found the polish.
"He had somehow gotten the lid off and had swallowed it," said Jaxon's mother, Brittany Linger.
Jaxon spent three weeks in the hospital.
Doctors say it was inhaling the chemicals, called hydrocarbons, in the polish that almost killed him.
"Usually if a kid takes a drink or a sip of something and then they go, uh, and it goes into their lungs. So you're going to know I think right away if your child is poisoned," said Doctor Lara McKenzie of
Nationwide Children's Hospital.
Hydrocarbons cause a chemical burn in the lungs.
"The recovery process can be pretty long," said Dr. McKenzie.
A new study by researchers at Nationwide Children's Hospital shows that between 2000-2009, more than 100,000 kids were hurt because of hydrocarbons.
That's more than an injury an hour, and most often in the summertime.
"Products are probably in the home throughout the year, but really get used and brought out during the summer months," said Dr. McKenzie.
Keeps liquids like gasoline, lighter fluid and kerosene in their original childproof bottles, store them high up and in a locked cabinet, and never leave your children alone when you are using any of the chemicals.
"It only takes a second and kids are very quick," said Dr. McKenzie.
That is advice that Brittany now takes to heart.
"They call him the miracle baby around the hospital," said Brittany.
Hydrocarbon poisoning is the third leading cause of poisoning death in children under five years old.
If you suspect that your child has been poisoned, call the National Poison Center or go directly to the ER.