Mother Finds Mold in Child's Capri Sun Pouch

By: Kristin Bauer Email
By: Kristin Bauer Email

The photograph has been shared more than 370,000 times on Facebook.

It originates in Missouri, but has reached from as far as Scotland to Ireland to California and Florida. Recently, it's been appearing on the Facebook walls of those who live right here in Nebraska.

Jennifer Griffin asked her friend Rachel Watson to post the photo after Griffin found a nasty surprise in her son's fruit drink.

"He said, 'Mom, this tastes bad,'" said Griffin. "I took a drink of it, and it tasted like pure alcohol."

After opening up the pouch of Capri Sun, Griffin discovered, the package was full of mold. Outraged, she contacted the company.

"They offered me a $20 check to reimburse my buying of the Capri Sun and some coupons," said Griffin. "They wanted it to go away and not take care of the issue."

Since the photo was posted, the Capri Sun's Facebook page has been flooded with comments. They released a statement saying the following:

"Among the many, many millions of pouches we sell each year, it does happen from time to time because the product is preservative free. A statement is included on all cartons telling consumers to discard any leaking or damaged packages. If mold does occur, we completely agree that it can be unsightly and gross, but it is not harmful and is more of a quality issue rather than a safety issue."

That statement read the following:

"Capri Sun contains no preservatives. Do not drink if pouch is leaking, damaged or swollen as fermentation can occur. Best when used by date printed on side of carton."

Both Griffin and Watson said their main priority is to warn other families about the possibility of mold in this product.

"I'm not advocating for a boycott of the company," said Griffin. "I just think you should be informed before you make a purchase."

They acknowledged the warning label and said it's misleading.

"Fermentation is a lot prettier of a word than mold," said Watson. "If this package said mold on it, folks wouldn't buy if for their kids. This product was probably punctured, but the company representatives have agreed that it could have been such a minute pinhole that you would never notice it."

They said consumers could pour it into another container before ingesting; however, in a perfect world, they would prefer the company change their packaging."

"The expiration date was April of 2013. I understand that any product can do fermentation, but there needs to be a clear backing or some type of way that we can see that it's gone bad."


Comments are posted from viewers like you and do not always reflect the views of this station.
powered by Disqus
KOLN-TV Call: (402) 467-4321 Toll-free: 1-800-475-1011 840 North 40th Lincoln, NE 68503 Email: info@1011now.com KGIN-TV Call: (308) 382-6100 123 N Locust Street Grand Island, NE 68802 Email: kgin@1011now.com KSNB-TV Toll free 888-475-1011 123 N. Locust St. Grand Island, NE 68802 Email : ksnb@1011now.com
Gray Television, Inc. - Copyright © 2002-2014 - Designed by Gray Digital Media - Powered by Clickability 190555411 - 1011now.com/a?a=190555411