Update: House Fire Ruled Electrical in Death of 3 Dogs

More Video...

PHILLIPS, Neb. -- The Fire Marshall said it was an electrical fire that left a family without a home and killed three small dogs.

"I just don't know what to say. I'm at a loss for words," said Kim Neeman who lived in the home on North D Road in Phillips.

Neeman was home alone when she came back from the bathroom and noticed her couch on fire. She lives with her husband, Les, and 5 grandchildren. Luckily, her granddaughters were with their mother at the time, and the grandsons were with Les in town.

She said, "I think it was electrical. This is an old house, old houses have different outlets and stuff like that."

The Fire Marshall confirmed Neeman's suspicion. This is a reminder how dangerous electrical sockets can be, especially in an older home.

"Really watch over your electrical outlets and everything and don't have a lot of it plugged in so you're drawing a lot of juice because they can get them hot cause fires," said Phillips Fire Chief Jason Fry.

The fire around 2:30 p.m. Wednesday and needed crews from Phillips, Giltner, and Aurora to put it out. Thankfully Kim was able to get out of the house in time.

"I was in the bathroom and came out of the bathroom and came into our dining room and the couch was on fire, so I had to get out and I had to leave my dogs in there. It was moving quick, so I could not stay," said Neeman of her experience in the home.

The Neeman family said that while they lost everything in the fire, the hardest part is the deaths of their three dogs.

Kim, fighting back tears, said, "We had two chihuahuas and a rat terrier and they were our babies. Everywhere we was they was. They were our friends, our buddies. Our rat terrier we had her for about, well as long as we lived in this house, and our one chihuahua and then our chihuahua who was just a year old. And now we got to get a new one because our babies are gone."

Thankfully no people were injured in this fire.

Fire Chief Fry said quick action from the volunteer fire department, and aiding crews helped contain the fire to only the home. However, Kim was upset saying she called 911 several times before crews arrived.

Chief Fry said, "We get paged out by the Sheriff's Office of Hamilton County. Obviously during the day everybody's at work so thankfully a lot of our jobs were able to let us leave so we could come and get this under control."

The family, which includes five grandchildren, said they weren't sure where they would stay Wednesday night.


Comments are posted from viewers like you and do not always reflect the views of this station.
powered by Disqus
KOLN-TV Call: (402) 467-4321 Toll-free: 1-800-475-1011 840 North 40th Lincoln, NE 68503 Email: info@1011now.com KGIN-TV Call: (308) 382-6100 123 N Locust Street Grand Island, NE 68802 Email: kgin@1011now.com KSNB-TV Toll free 888-475-1011 123 N. Locust St. Grand Island, NE 68802 Email : ksnb@1011now.com
Gray Television, Inc. - Copyright © 2002-2014 - Designed by Gray Digital Media - Powered by Clickability 267393721 - 1011now.com/a?a=267393721