Apartment Fire Caused by Careless Smoking

By: Kristin Bauer Email
By: Kristin Bauer Email

Residents say the building had 18 apartments. Of the 18 apartments, 17 were occupied.

Officials say careless smoking caused an apartment fire that destroyed a building yesterday afternoon.

Lincoln Fire and Rescue says it started on the deck of a third story apartment at Southwood Village near South 27th Street.

Officials call it a total loss, saying the repair costs are going to be more than the building is actually worth-- near $300,000.

Lincoln Fire and Rescue responded to the fire just before 4:00 on Thursday afternoon.

LFR says the fire occurred in a third-floor apartment, and then spread to several other units. Firefighters evacuated the building upon arriving, along with surrounding buildings.

Authorities say there were no civilian injuries; however, one firefighter was injured after the roof he was working on collapsed under his feet.

He was transported to the hospital with minor injuries.

All of the residents of the building will need to move to different apartments.


Comments are posted from viewers like you and do not always reflect the views of this station.
powered by Disqus
KOLN-TV Call: (402) 467-4321 Toll-free: 1-800-475-1011 840 North 40th Lincoln, NE 68503 Email: info@1011now.com KGIN-TV Call: (308) 382-6100 123 N Locust Street Grand Island, NE 68802 Email: kgin@1011now.com KSNB-TV Toll free 888-475-1011 123 N. Locust St. Grand Island, NE 68802 Email : ksnb@1011now.com
Gray Television, Inc. - Copyright © 2002-2014 - Designed by Gray Digital Media - Powered by Clickability 180536551 - 1011now.com/a?a=180536551