Fire Place Fuel to Blame for South Lincoln Blaze

By: 10/11 News Team Email
By: 10/11 News Team Email

No one is injured after a house fire in South Lincoln.

According to Lincoln Fire & Rescue Battalion Chief Jeanne Pashalek, LFR responded to reports of a smoke from a home Saturday night around 9:06 at 1612 Devoe Drive.

Residents called LFR a second time, after seeing flames outside the house. Pashalek said LFR then dispatched even more fire equipment before the first engine arrived.

According to Pashalek, when fire crews arrived, the flames were visible on the outside of the house. There was extensive damage done to the exterior. Flames also destroyed one of the upstairs bedrooms.

Fire Inspector Damon Robbins said the cause of the fire was too much fuel in the wood fireplace. The intense heat radiated from the flu and ignited the wood.

Most of the visible damage was to the exterior and the roof.

Inspector Robbins said the residents had just removed their smoke detectors for some renovation work and were lucky to have been awake to notice the smoke.

Robbins said the early estimates are $85,000 in damage.

Inspector Robbins said this serves as a good reminder about fireplace safety. He said it's important to clean the chimney annually or more if the fireplace is used frequently.


Comments are posted from viewers like you and do not always reflect the views of this station.
powered by Disqus
KOLN-TV Call: (402) 467-4321 Toll-free: 1-800-475-1011 840 North 40th Lincoln, NE 68503 Email: info@1011now.com KGIN-TV Call: (308) 382-6100 123 N Locust Street Grand Island, NE 68802 Email: kgin@1011now.com KSNB-TV Toll free 888-475-1011 123 N. Locust St. Grand Island, NE 68802 Email : ksnb@1011now.com
Gray Television, Inc. - Copyright © 2002-2014 - Designed by Gray Digital Media - Powered by Clickability 187623221 - 1011now.com/a?a=187623221