FORT HOOD Investigators have been searching the home of the man who opened fire Wednesday at Fort Hood in Texas, killing three people and wounding more than a dozen others before taking his own life.
A Department of Public Safety trooper responding to the report of the shooting. (Photo by Rachel Cox)
Officials say of the 16 wounded soldiers, nine of them are at Scott & White Hospital in Temple, Texas and three are at Carl R. Darnall Army Medical Center here. Four of the Soldiers have already been released.
Fort Hood officials say they've also been questioning the wife of the soldier, who's been identified as 34-year-old Ivan Lopez of Guavanilla, Puerto Rico.
A top Army official says the soldier had seen a psychiatrist last month, and didn't show any signs of being a threat to himself or others. Army Secretary John McHugh adds that there are no apparent ties to extremist groups.
A woman who lived in the same apartment complex as Lopez near Fort Hood says not many people knew him or his wife very well, because they had just moved in a few weeks ago. She says she would see Lopez in uniform going to his car every morning, and that he was friendly.
Fort Hood Officials say Lopez entered active duty service in June 2008 and was currently assigned to 49th Transportation Movement Control Battalion, 4th Sustainment Brigade, 13th Sustainment Command (Expeditionary).
They say he was previously assigned to Fort Bliss, Texas and assigned to the 1st Armored Division from April 2010 until November 2013 as an automatic rifleman. He reclassified as a motor transport operator in December 2013 and arrived at Fort Hood in February 2014.
Fort Hood officials say Lopez deployed to Egypt from January 2007 to January 2008, and in support of Operation New Dawn from August 2011 to December 2011.
"I’d also like to thank the outpouring of support from the Central Texas community and from the entire state of Texas, and from all of our national leadership within the military and our civilian leadership on the national level, Commanding General of III Corps and Fort Hood, Lt. Gen. Mark A. Milley said at a press conference. "Everyone is chipping in trying to assist in any way they can and I would recommend any individual wanting to donate support in any manner, shape or form, contact the Fort Hood PAO, that’s on the Facebook page, and they can point you in the right direction."
Right after the shooting happened, 10/11 spoke with Jana Carrell who is from Lincoln and currently based at Fort Hood.
"I haven't seen or heard anything. I'm a little ways away from everything that's going on. I know that the alarms had sounded telling everyone to stay in place and seek shelter inside away from doors and windows. I just kinda wanna let everyone know that I'm okay and I'll try and get a hold of everybody I can as soon as this is over and let them know the outcome," said Carrell.
On Nov. 5, 2009, Army psychiatrist Nidal Malik Hasan opened fire at Fort Hood’s Soldier Readiness Center, killing 12 soldiers and one civilian and wounding 29 others before two Fort Hood civilian police officers shot him.
He is now on the military’s death row.