UPDATE: Officer Killed in Las Vegas Shooting has Nebraska Ties

By  | 

LAS VEGAS AP-- Police in Las Vegas are still trying to piece together what happened Sunday when a man and woman shot two Metro Police officers. One of those officers, 31-year-old Igor Soldo, has ties in Nebraska.

Two Las Vegas Metro Police officers were killed at point-blank range while they ate lunch Sunday, in northeast Las Vegas. The shooting suspects, Jerad Miller and his wife Amanda, also killed another person in the store before taking their own lives, Metro Police said.

That victim has been identified as 31-year-old Joseph Wilcox of Las Vegas.

Sheriff Doug Gillespie identified the two officers as Alyn Beck and Igor Soldo. Both were shot at CiCi's Pizza around 11:22 a.m.

"It is truly a tragic day here in the Las Vegas valley," said Sheriff Doug Gillespie at an afternoon news conference. "We have lost two officers with young families."

Igor Soldo's family immigrated to Lincoln, Nebraska, from war-torn Bosnia in 1995 when Igor was 13. He learned English and graduated from Lincoln Southeast High in 2000 and the University of Nebraska-Lincoln in 2004.

Soldo was planning to return to Lincoln in a few weeks to celebrate his son's first birthday with family and friends.

Soldo worked as an on-call Lancaster County Corrections Officer between August of 2003 from March 2006.

In early 2006, Soldo began working for Metro Police. He leaves behind a wife and baby.

In a brief statement, members of Soldo's family said, "Igor was a great brother, husband, father and officer."

Soldo's brother and sister-in-law are Beatrice Police officers. Officials at Beatrice Police Department said they are supporting their officers during this challenging time, in any way they can.

The other officer killed in the shooting, Alyn Beck, 41, had been employed with Metro Police since 2001 and leaves behind a wife and three children.

Both officers were pronounced dead at University Medical Hospital.

According to Metro Police, a man and woman walked into a the restaurant and appeared to target the two Metro officers who were eating lunch. One person shot one officer in the head. The second person shot the second officer.

The two suspects left the restaurant and went to the Wal-Mart store across the street, where they shot and killed a customer near the front doors.

Metro officers exchanged gunfire with the suspects. Minutes later, police heard more gunfire from the suspects. They believe the female suspect shot the male suspect and then turned the gun on herself. Both suspects died.

Governor Brian Sandoval issued the following statement after the shooting:

“I am devastated by the news today of two officers and an innocent bystander who were murdered in an act of senseless violence. My thoughts and prayers go out to the victims and their families. I am receiving regular updates with regard to this tragedy and local and state law enforcement are assisting at the scene.”