Two people were rushed to the hospital with major burn injuries after a fireworks explosion near 58th and Stockwell Streets in Lincoln around 10:30 Tuesday night.
According to Lincoln Fire and Rescue Assistant Chief Pat Borer, firefighters arrived to find a large group of people surrounding one person lying on the ground.
"They were using fireworks they bought to try and make something bigger," said Borer.
He said during the process, the explosive material ignited and exploded.
Borer said two men were taken to Saint Elizabeth Regional Medical Center after suffering second and third-degree burns from the explosion. Another person was taken to a local hospital by a friend or family member.
Doctors at St. Elizabeth Regional Medical Center says injuries like these are not uncommon over the fourth of July holiday.
"We see about 200 visits to the emergency room nationwide for injuries surrounding fireworks," Dr. Sean Hansen said.
Dr. Hansen recommends leaving the firework show to the professionals. If you do want to make a bang, he says to follow the instructions on the firework and keep children away.
"Even sparklers, that seem pretty simple, can get as hot as 2,000 degrees. That is hot enough to melt some metals. You can easily sustain a second and sometimes third degree burn," Dr. Hansen said.
Dr. Hansen says second and third degree burns can be life changing, with a long road to recovery.
"When you are talking third degree burn, you may need a skin graft treatment in a burn center, extensive follow up and even rehab," Dr. Hansen said.
Doctors and firefighters say never tamper with a firework.
"We have seen injuries on our outpatient center involving children trying to make their own fireworks, trying to make them bigger," Dr. Hansen said.
Dr. Hansen says the best thing for a burn is cold water.
"Whenever you are setting off fireworks, have a bucket of water available, cool down that burn and seek medical attention," Dr. Hansen said.
Follow these rules to spend the holiday with friends and family rather than in the emergency room.