Rural Nebraska Family Flees House Fire

A family of four escaped a fire that destroyed their home near Filley.

The fire was broke out around 1:30 a.m. Thursday. It took firefighters about fifteen minutes to arrive at the home. Roughly 30 firefighters from three departments responded.

Tim Cowell told 10/11 News that he woke up to the smell of smoke overnight. He found smoke in the hallway, so he woke up his wife and daughter.

Everyone made it out of the house safely.

Cowell said that there were smoke detectors in the home but they did not sound.

Filley Fire District Chief Brad Robinson says it took about an hour to control the fire, which flared anew when flames found fuel in the house basement. The house was gutted.

Investigators believe the fire may have started in the fireplace.

The Cowells are staying with friends while they find a longer term solution.


Comments are posted from viewers like you and do not always reflect the views of this station.
powered by Disqus
KOLN-TV Call: (402) 467-4321 Toll-free: 1-800-475-1011 840 North 40th Lincoln, NE 68503 Email: info@1011now.com KGIN-TV Call: (308) 382-6100 123 N Locust Street Grand Island, NE 68802 Email: kgin@1011now.com KSNB-TV Toll free 888-475-1011 123 N. Locust St. Grand Island, NE 68802 Email : ksnb@1011now.com
Gray Television, Inc. - Copyright © 2002-2014 - Designed by Gray Digital Media - Powered by Clickability 179477401