Residents Escape Fire Thanks to Smoke Detector

By: 10/11 News Team Email
By: 10/11 News Team Email

A Lincoln Fire Inspector says the cause of a kitchen fire is quite unusual.

Just after midnight Sunday morning, fire crews were called to a house fire in the 3200 block of Hitchcock.

According to Captain Jim Bopp, crews arrived to see smoke coming from the house and people on the roof.

Lincoln Fire Inspector, Ken Hilger, says he believes a resident was smoking outside when a hot ember got into his coat. When the man went back in, he placed the coat on a kitchen chair before going upstairs.

Hilger said the smoke detector alerted residents who called 911. When they saw smoke downstairs, they went outside on the roof and waited for the fire department.

Hilger says damage was limited to the kitchen and total damages are about $2,000.


Comments are posted from viewers like you and do not always reflect the views of this station.
powered by Disqus
KOLN-TV Call: (402) 467-4321 Toll-free: 1-800-475-1011 840 North 40th Lincoln, NE 68503 Email: info@1011now.com KGIN-TV Call: (308) 382-6100 123 N Locust Street Grand Island, NE 68802 Email: kgin@1011now.com KSNB-TV Toll free 888-475-1011 123 N. Locust St. Grand Island, NE 68802 Email : ksnb@1011now.com
Copyright © 2002-2014 - Designed by Gray Digital Media - Powered by Clickability 186679561 - 1011now.com/a?a=186679561
Gray Television, Inc.