BEATRICE, Neb. -- A Nebraska official says the Southeast Area Drug Enforcement Task Force lost its federal funding because the task force didn't arrest any top operators in the sale of illegal drugs.
The task force ceased operating last month because it wouldn't be getting the $100,000 grant it requested.
The federal funds are funneled through the Nebraska Crime Commission.
Commission grants administrator Lisa Stamm says the grants review committee noted that the task force just focused on street-level buys, "and the feds are looking at more mid- to upper-level buys."
Stamm says that for the last couple years, the commission has focused on high-level drug operators, not street-level dealers.
The task force leader is the current Beatrice Chief of Police Bruce Lang. He doesn't know why the task force is losing this grant.
"Without that funding there isn't the funds for these small communities to keep going," said Lang.
Lang says over the past 18 years, since the task force has been around, he's seen progress in the area.
"We aren't seeing the meth usage in high school...we aren't seeing the meth labs that we saw before."
Before the task force came to fruition, Lang says the area was littered with drug offenders.
"The meth problem when we first started this task force was literally out of control," said Lang.
Without this added money Lang says the smaller communities just can't catch the big drug dealers, "We can't suddenly take a small task force like this and go after the cartels of Mexico or the kind of things they're imply that we should focusing on that's just not possible."
The Nebraska Crime Commission will meet on Friday to determine whether or not the grant will be given to the SEADE and RAP (Rural Apprehension Task Force).