Speaker Fire Evacuates Customers from Lounge

By: 10/11 News Email
By: 10/11 News Email

A fire in the sound system speakers forces dancers to evaucate and security officer saves major fire damage.

Around 12:15 Sunday morning, Lincoln Fire and Rescue were called to the El Charro restaurant at 221 South 9th Street.

According to a security guard for the restaurant, he and an employee smelled smoke but could not locate the source. Drew Smith said he kept looking and finally spotted flames coming from an amplified speaker mounted to the ceiling.

Smith said he told approximately 100 customers to leave the building and to call 911 while he went to get a fire extinguisher. Smith said the fire started to work its way up the wires into the ceiling and he just kept knocking it down until fire crews arrived.

Lincoln FIre Inspector Chuck Schweitzer said the fire started inside the speaker which was being used by the Disc Jockey and could have caused more damage to the building except for the use of the extinguisher.

Schweitzer estimates damage to be about $1,000. No food was being prepared near the fire or the damages could be more since it would have to be tossed out.


Comments are posted from viewers like you and do not always reflect the views of this station.
powered by Disqus
KOLN-TV Call: (402) 467-4321 Toll-free: 1-800-475-1011 840 North 40th Lincoln, NE 68503 Email: info@1011now.com KGIN-TV Call: (308) 382-6100 123 N Locust Street Grand Island, NE 68802 Email: kgin@1011now.com KSNB-TV Toll free 888-475-1011 123 N. Locust St. Grand Island, NE 68802 Email : ksnb@1011now.com
Gray Television, Inc. - Copyright © 2002-2014 - Designed by Gray Digital Media - Powered by Clickability 177156341 - 1011now.com/a?a=177156341