State Treasurer Suggests Girl Scouts, Leaders Check for Unclaimed Property

Follow these steps to search for unclaimed property:

  •   Check the Nebraska State Treasurer’s website at Type a name in the box on the home page, or click on the Search for Unclaimed Property tab in the left navigation pane.
  •   Try several variations of a name in the search box.
  •  For amounts under $300, owners may be able to file claims online through the website, with the required documentation.
  •   Call the Unclaimed Property Division at 1-877-572-9688 toll free or 402-471-8497 in Lincoln.
  •   Visit the Unclaimed Property office at 809 P Street in Lincoln or in the Treasurer’s Office in Suite 2005 of the State Capitol. Hours are 8 a.m. to 5 p.m., Monday through Friday, at both locations. Owner should bring a driver’s license and Social Security card. If filing on behalf of a business or a deceased family member, the owner should bring documentation to establish his or her legal authority to make the claim for the business or deceased family member.

While Nebraska’s Girl Scouts are out selling cookies in the next few weeks, they may want to stop by the Nebraska State Treasurer’s Office.

State Treasurer Don Stenberg says the Unclaimed Property Division has more than $4,700 for Girl Scout and Brownie troops and similar organizations from across the state.

“I would be very happy to see this money returned to the Girl Scouts and Brownies who earned it through their earnest sacrifices, no matter how small, and their hard work,” Treasurer Stenberg said. “This time of year, when Girl Scout cookie sales are just getting underway, seemed a perfect time to let the organizations know that we are holding money they probably didn’t know they were missing.”

Stenberg said the process to claim the money could be instructive for the young members.

“Visiting the State Treasurer’s Office in the Capitol or filling out a claim form for our Unclaimed Property Division is a useful exercise for the Girl Scouts and Brownies,” Stenberg said. “Introducing young people to how government works provides a good foundation for the children’s school work and for future leadership opportunities.”

Stenberg said 19 properties, valued at a total $4,730, are being held for youth organizations in Nebraska including Girl Scout and Brownie troops, Campfire Girls, Girls Club Inc., and possibly Boy Scouts. The last known addresses for the groups include Douglas County, Lancaster County, and Madison County. Some properties are listed with last known addresses in Lincoln, Alliance, Papillion, and Farnam.

Some of the money comes from overpayments for camp fees. Several smaller properties under $10 each are not included in the total.

The largest single amount being held is $1,409 for Girl Scouts Spirit of Nebraska, Troop 397. Other larger amounts include $536 for Troop 643 in Douglas County and $398 for Junior Troop 2072, also in Douglas County.

Three properties, not included in the total, are being held for Girl Scout organizations outside Nebraska, including Girl Scout Troop 1484 in Shawnee, Kans.; Girl Scout Service 654 in Raymore, Mo.; Girl Scout Troop 152 in Summit, Mo.

Stenberg suggested that organizations try several variations of the group name when searching for unclaimed property. In the case of the Girl Scout groups, some properties can be found by searching the words, Girl Scouts, and other properties can be found by searching the word, Troop.

KOLN-TV Call: (402) 467-4321 Toll-free: 1-800-475-1011 840 North 40th Lincoln, NE 68503 Email: KGIN-TV Call: (308) 382-6100 123 N Locust Street Grand Island, NE 68802 Email: KSNB-TV Toll free 888-475-1011 123 N. Locust St. Grand Island, NE 68802 Email :
Copyright © 2002-2016 - Designed by Gray Digital Media - Powered by Clickability 243373891 -
Gray Television, Inc.