A natural gas leak was contained before 3:00 p.m. Tuesday afternoon near Lux Middle School before the students were released for the day.
The leak was discovered at 1:45pm Tuesday afternoon at S. 79th Street and E. Pointe Road.
Lincoln Fire and Rescue Crews and Lincoln Police said no one was harmed as a result of the gas.
LFR said contractors digging in a home's yard hit a gas line, spilling natural gas into the surrounding area.
Natural gas is a flammable substance.
Crews say that a leak outside limits the chance for ignition, but that it was still a serious issue with so many homes and Lux Middle School nearby.
Students weren't evacuated from the school, and although closed streets caused some congestion, students were released at the normal time.