Update: Second Victim of Building Collapse Identified

By  | 

OMAHA, NE (AP) -- Authorities recovered the body of 47-year-old David Ball from the wreckage of the International Nutrition building on Tuesday, a day after recovering the body of 53-year-old Keith Everett. The building collapsed Monday morning.

Co-workers said that Everett did not have family in Omaha. They say he is from North Carolina and he had planned to leave on Wednesday to vacation there. He was going to visit his mother.

Interim Fire Chief Bernie Kanger said Tuesday evening, “We are prepared to say at this time that we don’t expect to find any other victims in that structure.”

The Nebraska Task Force 1 Urban Search and Rescue team was back at the site of the building collapse, near 77th and I Street Tuesday. The second body was recovered at 3:45 p.m.

Officials said the cold weather and wind have not affected the recovery effort; however, the International Nutrition building is still considered very unstable and dangerous.

The cause of the collapse remains unknown. A spokesperson for OSHA said it will likely take the entire six weeks, that's legally allowed, to determine that.

Kanger said OSHA will be responsible for conducting the accident investigation. The Omaha Police Department will handle the death investigations of the two victims.

Meanwhile, those injured in the accident continue making progress.

The two patients still at Nebraska University Medical Center have been upgraded. The 37-year-old, with a collapsed lung, is now listed in fair condition and the 50-year-old male, who came in with hypothermia, is now in good condition.

Officials at Alegent Creighton University Medical Center reported the male patient there has been upgraded to fair condition. The patient who had been treated at Bergan Mercy has been released.

Kendrick Houston, who goes by Kenny, was one of the injured. We met with him Tuesday and he didn’t want to let go of his one-year-old daughter Jordan.

Kenny operates the forklift at International Nutrition and he was thrown to the ground by the collapse of the building. He was 15-feet from the blown out doors.

“It's been rough to get the news this morning,” he said. “I kind of knew yesterday when I left work. The employees that were lost - good friends of mine. I'm at a loss for words."

After hours in the hospital, his back pain lingers from being thrown to the ground Monday.

"It seemed like an earthquake in Nebraska,” he said. “It blew me and my co-worker to the floor. There was a fire on top of us. We just got out of there."

Then they tried to go back into the chaos of the crumbling building.

“We tried to go back in. We were the ones closest to the closest exit. I ran back in to call out a couple co-workers names. The fire was still going. The smoke was so thick. It was black in there. I was inhaling too much smoke."

Kenny said he talked with a few co-workers Tuesday. With 13-months on the job they feel like family.

He said. “Everybody's really distraught about the situation."

He says his priority now is to get his mind and health back so he can make a living for his family. He also wants to be there for his co-workers.

Erick Ocampo was burned in the building collapse and he was transferred to St. Elizabeth regional Medical Center in Lincoln for treatment.

Before & After the building collapse at Industrial Nutrition in Omaha