Update: LPD Arrest Man Who Used Gun to Break Into Middle School

By  | 

A Lincoln man is in custody after police say he used a gun to burglarize Dawes Middle School.

Police arrested 20-Year-Old Bruce Sheltraw-Grandel Tuesday night during a traffic stop.

Officers first suspected him when they are called to St. Elizabeth Regional Hospital at 3 a.m. on December 20th for a suspicious injury. They say Sheltraw-Grandel went to the hospital for a cut to his leg than needed 24 staples to close.

According to police, Sheltraw-Grandel told them he cut his leg after losing a bet with a friend and kicking out a window. He would not tell them where it happened.

Seven hours later, at 11:20 a.m, officers were called to Dawes Middle School when the superintendent discovered the burglary.

"It was a lot of vandalism. We had a lot of broken windows and damaged doors. Some of the classroom materials were spread out. So really it was just disappointing," Dawes Principal Angie Zabawa said.

According to police, the Dawes Middle School Superintendent was shoveling snow when he noticed a window was broken out.

Authorities say that once Sheltraw-Grandel got inside the school, he used a small caliber gun to shoot safety glass to get inside classrooms.

Officers found shell casings and shattered windows.

Once he shot the window, police believe Sheltraw-Grandel kicked the glass out and that's how he cut his leg.

"There is no indication there was a direct threat to the school or to the people inside," Lincoln Police Officer Katie Flood said. "It was simply a means to access those locked classrooms."

Two computers were stolen and later found, dumped, near 61st and Vine street.

Even though no one was inside of the building at the time of the break in, the school notified parents of the potentially dangerous situation.

"I also address students this morning, sharing the information with them, reassuring them that school is safe and the also giving them options," Zabawa said.

Councilors were available to talk with students.

Administrators had the building clean up and most of the damage repaired before students ever stepped inside. They are also reevaluating safety measures.

"It is unfortunate it is isolated, but I think it provides us an opportunity to focus on safety. I think we do have a lot of practices that ensure our students are safe," Zabawa said.

Police tell 10/11 News that about $5,000 in damage was done to the school.

Sheltraw-Grandel is facing charges for burglary, use of a firearm to commit a felony and possession of a firearm on school grounds