"We know in 20 years we better have five lanes there. The time to build is now."
A big roadway expansion is raising big questions for several Grand Island residents.
That project would take the expanse of Capital Avenue from Webb Road to Broadwell Street to five lanes instead of two.
But, before construction gets underway, there are several issues residents would like addressed.
Questions and concerns are all part of the planning that will go into expanding Capital Avenue.
Roadway construction that project manager Scott Griepenstroh called necessary.
"I think there will be a greater comfort level even though there will be a greater expansive roadway there because of the room, because of the common turning lane in the middle. I think people will feel safer driving this corridor," he said.
And, safety is a major concern following an accident along the roadway just weeks ago that ended with a car in a home's living room.
"She was sitting on the couch," one meeting attendee said. "If she was sitting on the easy chair she wouldn't be here today."
Broker Lonnie Davis has several properties along the roadway.
He said one of his issues with the expansion is keeping the area as well kept as it is now.
"I think that's a great project, but I'd like to see it look as good as it does today," Davis said.
He thinks three lanes, as originally planned, would be sufficient.
Griepenstroh said federal funding, covering 80% of the project, would not back a three lane roadway.
"We'd begin to deal with congestion that make a three lane roadway insufficient," he said.
He said the growth has to be one to carry Grand Island for decades.
"We know in 20 years we better have five lanes there," Griepenstroh said. "The time to build is now."
Another major concern is who is paying for the project.
Aside from the 80% that will be federally funded, the other 20% has been budgeted from city funds.
City Council could vote on an assessment, but some city officials said they don't see that happening.