Grand Island firefighters are warning people to be extra-cautious when using their outdoor grills, after one family's home was destroyed Thursday night.
More than 12 hours after the fire began, Grand Island firefighters were still trying to subdue the flames at 113 South Lane Friday morning.
Grand Island Fire Captain Ron Zook says they received reports some of the fire debris was smoldering. He says the family's home is a total loss.
"They're going to try to tear it down the rest of the way this weekend and dispose of the trailer," Zook says.
The fire started just after 8 p.m. Thursday.
Witnesses say they heard a loud noise that sounded like an explosion when the mobile home went up in flames.
"I heard this loud bang and I looked out on the porch and I seen the deck on the trailer across the street there in flames," Robert Alderson says. "It was a big fire."
Other witnesses say it started instantaneously and grew quickly.
"There was nothing he could do," Alderson says. "It was engulfed."
Firefighters confirm a rusting charcoal grill caused the fire when lit charcoal fell through the grill, into a pile of dry leaves.
Firefighters say with the right precautions, it's an avoidable disaster.
"Keep the barbecues and grills a significant distance from the structure, and don't cook under awnings," Zook says.
ACE Hardware Manager John Placzek says it's important to inspect your grill every time you use it.
"Get out away from anything that's dry, that's flammable," Placzek says. "If you've got a patio, make sure you're on the edge of that patio, near the grass, rather than the garage."
He says it's especially important to inspect charcoal grills if they've recently been moved to a new location.
Firefighters say with the strong winds, the fire easily could have spread to other homes in the neighborhood, but no damage to other trailers has been reported.
No one was injured in the fire or the rekindling.