Omaha Hospital has Another Toxic Leak

By: Associated Press Email
By: Associated Press Email

Omaha fire officials say a hospital venting system is taking care of dangerous fumes from a toxic leak.

Omaha fire and hazardous-materials experts responded to the Clarkson Tower at Nebraska Medical Center a little after 2 a.m. Wednesday.

The danger from the ethylene oxide was contained to one room. No injuries were reported.

Battalion chief Mark Ervin says the safety venting system locks down the area where the gas is detected. The gas is then vented safely to the roof and outside over several hours.

He says a similar spill occurred at the hospital two months ago.

A federal Internet site says ethylene oxide can be used to help sterilize medical equipment and supplies. Exposure may result in lung injury, headache, nausea and other symptoms.


KOLN-TV Call: (402) 467-4321 Toll-free: 1-800-475-1011 840 North 40th Lincoln, NE 68503 Email: info@1011now.com KGIN-TV Call: (308) 382-6100 123 N Locust Street Grand Island, NE 68802 Email: kgin@1011now.com KSNB-TV Toll free 888-475-1011 123 N. Locust St. Grand Island, NE 68802 Email : ksnb@1011now.com
Gray Television, Inc. - Copyright © 2002-2014 - Designed by Gray Digital Media - Powered by Clickability 52516692 - 1011now.com/a?a=52516692