Mayor Chris Beutler welcomes visitors to Lincoln for Husker football games and says Nebraska’s Capital City is ready to accommodate fans and game-day traffic.
Drivers will see traffic improvements near Memorial Stadium – two new multi-lane roundabouts at at 10th Street and Salt Creek Roadway.
“We are always looking for ways to improve safety and traffic flow, and those are the two main benefits roundabouts offer over traditional intersections with signals,” Mayor Beutler said.
“I encourage visitors to visit the City website to learn more about them and how easy they are to navigate.” At
The Mayor encourages fans to plan ahead and use any of the following City programs to help beat game- day traffic and parking challenges:
• Purchase a $9 tag for all-day, on-street parking in metered stalls from any City parking employee wearing a Park & Go shirt at City-operated parking facilities.
The Mayor also encourages fans to enjoy the Capital City by arriving early and lingering downtown after games.
Those traveling downtown need to be aware that parking violations and towing will be more expensive this year. Meters are enforced Saturdays from 8 a.m. to 6 p.m., and a new fine system will be in effect:
• If the ticket is paid online within seven days from when it is written, the fine is $9.
• If the ticket is paid in person or through the mail within seven days, the fine is $10.
• If the ticket is paid after seven days, the fine is $25 (in person or by mail) or $24 (online).
The City also has implemented a $50 towing fine for vehicles towed by order of the Police or a Parking Control Officer. The fine is charged in addition to the $49.53 required to get a vehicle out of the impoundment lot. The towing fine does not apply to cars towed from a private lot.
On football game days, Interstate 80 exits at I-180/Downtown and 27th Street can be very congested, so visitors are encouraged to use other routes into Lincoln:
• From the east, take the Hwy. 6/Cornhusker Hwy. exit (409). Turn south at State Fair Park Drive and west on Salt Creek Roadway to reach Memorial Stadium, the Champion’s Club and parking facilities east of the stadium and in the Haymarket.
• From the west, exit I-80 at Homestead Expressway/Hwy. 77 South, then go east on Rosa Parks Way.
• Those using I-80 who plan to park in the Haymarket Park lots will experience less congestion if they enter Lincoln using the airport exit (399).
Contractors will not work on highway or Interstate projects on game days, so I-80 will have at least two lanes open in each direction, and all lanes will be open on highways entering Lincoln.
Other traffic reminders:
• After games, 10th Street is one-way northbound from Military Avenue to Sun Valley Boulevard.
• Stadium Drive west of the stadium will be closed to all vehicular traffic. Passenger drop-off and pick-up will not be allowed in front of the stadium before or after the game. Fans can be dropped off and picked up at 10th and Charleston streets and 12th and “R” streets.
• Only StarTran buses and those using UNL Lot 12 or handicapped parking will be allowed west of 16th St. on Vine.
• Charter buses will park on “W” St. between 14th and 16th streets.
• The taxi stand is at 14th and Vine streets.
• Downtown bike lanes are on 14th Street from “L” to “R” streets and on 11th Street from “Q” to “K” streets.
Other general reminders:
• Alcohol is prohibited on City streets, parking lots, garages and sidewalks including the trail between Haymarket Park and 8th Street.
• The sale of tickets, souvenirs or other items is not allowed on City streets or sidewalks. Officers will issue citations for violations that inhibit the use of the street or sidewalk.
• Lock your vehicle and put valuable items out of sight to prevent theft.
• Backpacks and umbrellas are not allowed in Memorial Stadium.