Charred walls and pieces of a roof is what's left of unit 26 at the Lazy V Apartments in Grand Island.
Investigators say a faulty furnace is to blame. The unit has been vacant for over a week but the heat was still running on low to prevent freezing. At some point around 7:30 p.m. a neighbor noticed smoke coming from the roof. The unoccupied apartment endured the most damage. Adjacent units that have tenants sustained water damage.
Lazy V Owner Mick Kucera says they worked quickly to find a new place for the tenants in the same complex.
"We got two units that we're putting in other units across the street," said Kucera.
This is the second fire at Lazy V Apartments this year. The first one was an electrical fire in February.
Kucera says they've been dealt some unfortunate hands. He said, "I think the place is pretty safe. It's just a matter of some bad luck."
City officials everything checked out following an inspection. Building Department Director Craig Lewis says even when everything is up to code, misuse by people can cause the problems.
"The demand for electricity is a whole lot greater now than when these buildings were built," said Lewis.
Grand Island Fire Chief Cory Schmidt says as the cold sets in, it's important to stay pro-active.
"This time of year, obviously it's getting colder. It's a good idea to have a service person come out, inspect your furnace or any heating device you might have to make sure its operating as it should," advised Chief Schmidt.
No injuries resulted from the fire and authorities will conduct an official inspection in the coming weeks.