Jefferson Community Health Center was closed Friday afternoon because of an accidental chemical leak in the laundry area. The chemical was undetermined as of 3:30 p.m. Fairbury Fire Department and Beatrice Fire and Rescue/Hazmat were called immediately for assistance and were on scene.
There were no serious injuries.
As of 3:30 p.m. the 72nd Civil Support Team hazmat unit was enroute and expected to arrive soon, and Beatrice Fire and Rescue/Hazmat was doing initial investigation.
Gardenside long-term care residents and Cedarwood assisted living tenants were transferred to a local church in the early afternoon. The wellness center, emergency room, physical therapy and all patient services were closed by 3 p.m.
Once the nature of chemical is determined, it will be determined how to clean the leak and prepare the facility to reopen. The facility reopened several hours later.
Viewers with disabilities can get assistance accessing this station's FCC Public Inspection File by contacting the station with the information listed below. Questions or concerns relating to the accessibility of the FCC's online public file system should be directed to the FCC at 888-225-5322, 888-835-5322 (TTY), or email@example.com.