Eight of the 42 U.S. Merchant Marine Academy students who were hospitalized after carbon monoxide was found to be leaking at the Long Island facility have returned to the school.
A North Shore University Hospital spokeswoman said the eight were treated and released, and returned to the Kings Point school Monday morning.
The conditions of the other students, who were taken to other hospitals, were not immediately known.
Authorities said a water heater was found to be leaking carbon monoxide shortly before 10 p.m. Sunday.
The leak was in the Academy's Barry Hall.
The Merchant Marine Academy prepares students for careers in the maritime industry.
Its 82-acre campus is on Long Island, about 20 miles east of New York City.
Viewers with disabilities can get assistance accessing this station's FCC Public Inspection File by contacting the station with the information listed below. Questions or concerns relating to the accessibility of the FCC's online public file system should be directed to the FCC at 888-225-5322, 888-835-5322 (TTY), or firstname.lastname@example.org.