Carbon Monoxide Leak in NY Sends 42 to Hospital

By: Associated Press
By: Associated Press

Eight of the 42 U.S. Merchant Marine Academy students who were hospitalized after carbon monoxide was found to be leaking at the Long Island facility have returned to the school.

A North Shore University Hospital spokeswoman said the eight were treated and released, and returned to the Kings Point school Monday morning.

The conditions of the other students, who were taken to other hospitals, were not immediately known.

Authorities said a water heater was found to be leaking carbon monoxide shortly before 10 p.m. Sunday.

The leak was in the Academy's Barry Hall.

The Merchant Marine Academy prepares students for careers in the maritime industry.

Its 82-acre campus is on Long Island, about 20 miles east of New York City.


Comments are posted from viewers like you and do not always reflect the views of this station.
powered by Disqus
KOLN-TV Call: (402) 467-4321 Toll-free: 1-800-475-1011 840 North 40th Lincoln, NE 68503 Email: info@1011now.com KGIN-TV Call: (308) 382-6100 123 N Locust Street Grand Island, NE 68802 Email: kgin@1011now.com KSNB-TV Toll free 888-475-1011 123 N. Locust St. Grand Island, NE 68802 Email : ksnb@1011now.com
Copyright © 2002-2014 - Designed by Gray Digital Media - Powered by Clickability 136933993 - 1011now.com/a?a=136933993
Gray Television, Inc.