Italian Sausage Stuffed Zucchini “Boats”
An easy, fun and delicious way to use a garden staple: zucchini. These “boats” are stuffed with a mixture of Italian sausage, tomatoes, zucchini, mushrooms and onions, then topped with mozzarella cheese.
No-Stick Cooking Spray
2 medium zucchini, each cut in half lengthwise
6 ounces Italian sausage (try turkey or chicken versions)
1/2 cup chopped onion
1/2 cup chopped fresh mushrooms
1 teaspoon dried thyme
1 can (14.5 oz each) Diced Tomatoes with Basil, Garlic and Oregano, drained
Pepper to taste
1 cup panko bread crumbs
1 egg or 1/4 cup Egg substitute
1/4 cup grated Mozzarella cheese
1 teaspoon red pepper flakes (optional)
1. Preheat oven to 375° F. Spray 13x9-inch baking dish with cooking spray.
2. Scoop pulp from each zucchini half creating a “boat”, leaving 1/4-inch shells and reserving pulp. Place shells cut-side down on a microwave-safe plate. Microwave on HIGH 3-4 minutes or until shells begin to soften slightly. Arrange “boats” cut side up in baking dish.
3. Cook sausage in medium skillet over medium-high heat until browned and crumbled. Remove sausage from skillet; set aside.
4. Cook onion, mushrooms, reserved zucchini, thyme and red pepper flakes (if you choose) in skillet about 5 minutes or until onion, mushrooms and zucchini are lightly browned and softened. Stir in drained tomatoes, cooked sausage and bread crumbs, add pepper to taste. Remove from heat; cool about 5 minutes.
5. Stir in egg or egg substitute. Spoon filling into zucchini shells. Sprinkle with cheese. Bake 10-15 minutes or until cheese begins to brown.