Advertisement

UPDATE: LFR: Cigarette ignited overnight garage fire

Published: Sep. 14, 2020 at 5:23 AM CDT|Updated: Sep. 14, 2020 at 12:42 PM CDT
Email this link
Share on Pinterest
Share on LinkedIn

LINCOLN, Neb. (KOLN) - Lincoln Fire and Rescue said an improperly disposed cigarette was the cause of a garage fire Sunday night.

Firefighters were called to the area of 43rd and Baldwin Streets just before midnight. Battalion Chief Jeremy Gegg said crews could see large flames in the area from several blocks away.

LFR said the fire started in the alley and then moved to the front. Flames were reported being 20-30 feet high.

Chief Gegg said a couple power lines also caught fire and went down as a result, but did not knock out power to the area.

Crews were able to knock down the fire not long after they arrived on scene.

LFR estimates the damage to be $40,000 to the structure and roughly $10,000 to the contents. Firefighters said the home was not damaged and there was no car in the garage.

Lincoln Fire and Rescue said an improperly disposed cigarette was the cause of a garage fire Sunday night.
Lincoln Fire and Rescue said an improperly disposed cigarette was the cause of a garage fire Sunday night.(Lincoln Fire and Rescue)
Lincoln Fire and Rescue said an improperly disposed cigarette was the cause of a garage fire Sunday night.
Lincoln Fire and Rescue said an improperly disposed cigarette was the cause of a garage fire Sunday night.(Lincoln Fire and Rescue)

Copyright 2020 KOLN. All rights reserved.

Latest News

Latest News