Fire officials urging caution after fire pits cause two fires
LINCOLN, Neb. (KOLN) - Lincoln Fire and Rescue said fire pits are the cause of a fire that destroyed a home Sunday and a garage on Monday morning.
On Sunday around 6:30 a.m., Lincoln Fire & Rescue responded to 1820 Spring Meadow Dr. on the report of a house fire. LFR said the back of the home was fully engulfed in flames when they arrived.
LFR said all five occupants inside the home made it out safely. However, one cat has died and two others are missing. No one was injured.
There had been a fire pit on the wood deck the family had used the previous night which ultimately caused the fire. The home is a total loss.
On Monday at 5:50 am, Lincoln Fire & Rescue was called to 2900 S Folsom Street on the report of a detached garage on fire. The garage was fully involved in flames when firefighters arrived.
LFR said there was a fire pit located next to the garage that had been used the previous evening.
After both of these fires, at the start of fire pit season, Lincoln’s Fire Inspectors are urging caution.
“All fires can be prevented. It’s about 95% common sense,” Chief Inspector Bill Moody said. “Don’t take anything for granted and be smart and you shouldn’t have any problems.”
There are some rules you’ll need to follow if using a fire pit:
1. Keep the fire pit 25 feet from combustible materials, like homes, garages and porches
2. Only use firewood in fire pits, other materials like trash or leaves can cause embers to blow around
3. Make sure the fire pit is only two-feet-wide by two-feet-tall
4. Watch the fire pit at all times
5. Put the fire pit out using water to ensure it’s truly out before walking away from it
Copyright 2021 KOLN. All rights reserved.