Advertisement

One rescued, another hospitalized in overnight apartment fire

Battalion Chief Mark Majors says one person already outside the home was transported to a Lincoln hospital with minor injuries.
Published: Mar. 21, 2022 at 3:47 AM CDT|Updated: Mar. 21, 2022 at 10:50 AM CDT
Email This Link
Share on Pinterest
Share on LinkedIn

LINCOLN, Neb. (KOLN) - Lincoln Fire & Rescue said a cigarette is to blame for an apartment fire near downtown late Sunday night.

Battalion Chief Mark Majors said they received multiple calls of the fire around 11:30 p.m. near 20th and F Streets. Chief Majors said crews arrived to the entire front of the dwelling on fire, with the flames spreading.

Firefighters rescued one person from the second floor of the home. That person was taken to the hospital with minor injuries. The other person made it out of the home before firefighters arrived.

LFR said the fire started under the porch, due to improper disposal of a cigarette. Winds quickly fanned the flames and spread to the attic.

The fire caused $150,000 in damage to the structure and another $30,000 to contents in the home.

There are five apartments in the building but only two of the apartments are rented.

The scene of an apartment fire Sunday night near 20th & F Streets.
The scene of an apartment fire Sunday night near 20th & F Streets.(Ryan Swanigan (KOLN))

Copyright 2022 KOLN. All rights reserved.